Amanda's Gift Bursary Program
The Amanda’s Gift Bursary Program was established to provide financial assistance to youth formerly in the care and custody of the Province of Nova Scotia who wish to pursue their post- secondary education. The bursary was named in honour of a former youth in care, Amanda Sutherland, who made a generous donation of $500 to the Nova Scotia Council for the Family and asked that it be given to a former youth in care who was struggling financially to complete their education. Amanda felt more needed to be done to reach out to former youth in care who are pursuing educational goals under challenging circumstances.
The bursary can be used to purchase educational needs such as: tuition, course materials, technology equipment, conference fees, transportation and any needs that will help the student to be successful in reaching their goals.
- Applicants must be 16-28 years of age at the time of the request
- Recipients of the Amanda’s Gift Bursary will continue to be eligible for consideration until completion of the degree or course for which initial support was sought
- Former recipients of Amanda’s Gift Bursary may re-apply
- Bursaries range between $250 – $1,500 depending on number of applicants and funding available
- Youth adopted from care may be considered for a $250 bursary depending on funds available